The National Hospital Radio Awards is an annual celebration of the excellent standards found in hospital radio stations across the country. The awards are open to any HBA member station. The awards are divided into different categories, each one recognising a specific area of excellence; some are awarded to individuals, others to stations.
Our Patron, Alan Dedicoat, has joined us again this year to announce the shortlists which you can listen to below:
Members can download this audio for use on their station output from HBA Member Resources
These are your shortlisted nominations for the National Hospital Radio Awards 2018.
- Bedrock Radio - Bedrock Quiz Night
- CHBN - Kath Layte's 60s and 70s Show
- Grampian Hospital Radio - John Graham's 70s Show
- Harlow Hospital Radio - Ali Baba and the Bongo Bandits
- Hospital Radio Basingstoke - Sarah Beattie's Spooky Halloween Special
- Radio BGM - Million Sellers Weekend
- Radio Glamorgan - Our Station
- Radio Hillingdon - Hillingdon Hospital Chaplaincy team
- Radio Tyneside - Beamish visit
- Radio West Middlesex - Hear Us Online
Best Specalist Music Programme
- Citybeat Radio - Crime and Punishment
- Durham Hospitals Radio - The Sunday Showtune Showdown
- Hospital Radio Reading - Jazz Hour
- Harlow Hospital Radio - 50th anniversary of the Beatles album “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band”.
- HWD Hospital Radio - HWD Rock Show
- Inverness Hospital Radio - Sunday Ceilidh
- Radio Grapevine - Fresh Sounds
- Radio Tyneside - The Geordie Hour
- Radio West Middlesex - Sgt Pepper Special
- Radio Wey - Rob’s Jazz Club
Best Speech Package
- Durham Hospitals Radio - Eileen’s Cheviot Challenge
- Grampian Hospital Radio - Hilary Thomson, Lead Physiotherapist at Aberdeen Royal Infirmary
- Hospital Radio Basingstoke - World Sight Day Special
- Hospital Radio Plymouth - Fundraising rugby match
- Radio Brockley - Rebuild of the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital buildings
- Radio Grapevine - In Conversation with David Evans
- Radio Harrow - What is Hanukkah?
- Radio Tyneside - Bedpans and Broomsticks
- Radio Wey - The Swan Ward Lunch Club
- Winchester Radio - The Hat Fair
- BHBN - The Queen Elizabeth Charities 5k Memory Walk
- Durham Hospitals Radio - Durham Regatta
- Hospital Radio Basingstoke - Hampshire Hospitals Open Day 2017
- Hospital Radio Chelmsford - 2017 General Election
- Nottingham Hospitals Radio - Queen’s Medical Centre 40th Year
- Radio Grapevine - Radio Grapevine Live
- Radio Harrow - Local Radio Day
- Radio Horton - Fairport Cropredy Convention
- Radio Redhill - The Flying Scotsman
- Radio Tyneside - Beamish Open-Air Museum
- Richard Holmes, Arrowe Sound
- Penny-Jane Bourne, BHBN
- Phillip Stoneman, BHBN
- Jeff Jacobs CHBN
- Jonathan Tullett, Harrogate Hospital Radio
- Tony Knight, Hospital Radio Chelmsford
- Matt Farmer, Hospital Radio Lynn
- Anna Pangbourne, Radio Chelsea and Westminster
- Anna Trevers, Radio Harrow
- Judith Allford, Radio Wey.
Best Programme with Multiple Presenters
- Arrowe Sound - The Mid-Week Get Together with Steve & Joe
- Citybeat Radio - The Farrell Request Show
- Harrogate Hospital Radio - The Evening Request Show With Steve And Ann
- Hospital Radio Chelmsford - The Christmas 2016 Three-Way Request Show
- Nottingham Hospitals Radio - Samuel Head and Mickey Lewis
- Radio Brockley - Thursday Live
- Radio Glamorgan - The Teenage Cancer Trust Takeover
- Radio Harrow - Wednesday Night Patients’ Hour
- Roch Valley Radio - Saturday Breakfast
- Rookwood Sound - Steve Allen & Debbie Brown.
Male Presenter of the Year
- Glynn Thomas, Arrowe Sound
- Dan Sambell, Coventry Hospital Radio
- Mark Oldfield, Harrogate Hospital Radio
- Philip Medcalf, Hospital Radio Lynn
- Andrew Hill, Hospital Radio Plymouth
- Rajiv Hasan, Nottingham Hospitals Radio
- Ross Coutts, Radio Grapevine
- Tony McNab, Radio Harrow
- Max Fosh, Radio Tyneside
- Robin Street, Rookwood Sound.
Female Presenter of the Year
- Mandy Shepherd, Arrowe Sound
- Emma Boydell BHBN
- Ellie Jackson, Harrogate Hospital Radio
- Christine Rowley, Hospital Radio Basingstoke
- Kim Lelievre, Hospital Radio Bedside
- Sam Jenkins, Hospital Radio Chelmsford
- Charlotte Willis, Hospital Radio Plymouth
- Julie Caston, Nottingham Hospitals Radio
- Mandy Morrow, Radio Wey
- Tindy C. Chaggar at Radio Fox.
Station of the Year
Categories Without Shortlists
There are some categories where the HBA awards a single prize and where a shortlist is not released. These categories are:
The John Witney Award
Recognising Innovation across Hospital Radio
This category is sponsored by Broadcast Radio
The nomination certificates have been sent out to the address submitted with the stations entries. If they do not arrive or you notice any errors please contact Neil Ogden by e-mail. Please be aware that any errors not rectified at this stage may find their way onto an engraved award should a shortlisted entry be successful in winning Bronze, Silver or Gold.
The qualification period for audio for the 2018 Hospital Radio Awards is from 1st November 2016 to 31st October 2017. If you are planning to enter next year, now is the time to start saving your best bits! Please be aware that we anticipate changes to the awards criteria for 2019. This information will be available shortly after the 2018 National Hospital Radio Awards ceremony on 24th March 2018.
The Hospital Broadcasting Association is proud to organise and support the award ceremony each year, an event which offers a unique opportunity for fellow broadcasters to meet, share ideas, and recognise volunteers for their achievements. Our prestegious black tie award ceremony takes place during a gala dinner on the Saturday evening of the HBA Annual Conference, The ceremony will be held at The De Vere Beaumont Estate, Windsor on Saturday 24th March 2018. For more information and to book your attendance at Conference and Awards 2018 click HERE.
The bursary provides successful applicants with an opportunity to meet fellow hospital broadcasters, and to find out about the work of other stations and the HBA. HBA national conferences provide a training opportunity through seminars and workshops, and enable delegates to network with fellow hospital broadcasters, providing insight into the wider aspects of hospital broadcasting and the national association.
Bursaries are intended to encourage attendance for members who have not previously attended and/or stations who have not/are not represented at conference by removing/contributing to the financial burden. We also invite applications for travel only bursaries. For more information on HBA Bursaries make sure you login and click HERE.